Open Access Publishing in SAGE Journals
Researchers can publish their articles open access with CC BY license
- free of charge in SAGE hybrid journals
- with 20% discount of the journal’s APC (Article Processing Charge) in SAGE Gold Open Access journals
The most common acceptable article types are: Original Research Papers, Review Papers, Brief Communications, Short Reports, Case Reports.
Am I entitled to publish my article open access free of charge or with the discounted APC?
Yes, you are, if:
Your article has been accepted to be published after Jan 1, 2020 in one of the SAGE journals listed above.
You are affiliated with one of the subscribing institutions:
SAGE Premier consortium.
You are the corresponding author of the article.
Instructions to the corresponding author
Open access publishing in SAGE's hybrid journals
SAGE contacts directly before the end of June 2020 the researchers of the subscribing organizations whose articles have been accepted to be published in SAGE hybrid journals between Jan 1 and May 10, 2020. The articles published behind paywall during this period can be published open access retrospectively.
Instructions for articles published after May 10, 2020
SAGE identifies your right to publish Open Access free of charge or Open Access with 20 % discount primarily based on the institutional affiliation you choose from the drop down menu in ScholarOne system when you submit your manuscript. If you don't choose your institutional affiliation from the drop down menu but instead write it yourself, SAGE uses your email address to identify your eligibility.
When your article is accepted for publication, please complete the steps to sign SAGE’s Journal Contributor’s Publishing Agreement as normal. SAGE still requires this agreement for your article to proceed to production at SAGE.
When your article is received at SAGE, SAGE will send you and any other authors of the article an e-mail where SAGE informs you of your right to publish Open Access at no cost to you or with discount. The e-mail contains a link to the SAGE's Open Access Portal. Anyone of the authors of the article can follow the link to proceed to the next step.
Ragarding the hybrid journals, you will have 14 days to enter the portal to accept Open Access publication of your article. If Open Access is not accepted during this period, SAGE will publish the article behind paywall and you will lose the benefit of the free Open Access publishing. You will get a reminder email from SAGE after 7 days from the first email.
Sage's Open Access Portal
- In the SAGE Open Access Portal, you can see the information on your article.
- If you are publishing in a Gold OA journal, move to login stage
- If you are publishing in a hybrid journal, to publish your article Open Access select Yes, make my article open access.
Log in to the portal with your user ID and password or register if needed.
Accept the license for Open Access publishing (CC BY) and fill in the additional information on the copyright.
- If you are publishing in a hybrid journal, you will then receive the information that your article will be published Open Access and you can log out.
- If you are publishing in a Gold OA journal, you must proceed to the payment steps and you will be able to see your APC. Att.! You can log straight out if you are publishing in a Gold OA journal which doesn't charge APC's or if you organization has already agreed in SOAP to pay the APC on behalf of you.
Please notice that these are general instructions. Your organization may have specific instructions concerning APC's. Therefore, we recommend that when you are planning to publish an open access article in SAGE Gold OA journals, please contact your organization's library or information service.